N4.48 Million Nigerians apply for 400,000 N-power jobs

Sadiya Umar Farouq: N4.48 Million Nigerians apply for 400,000 N-power jobs
Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq

The Nigerian government says nearly five million people want to benefit from the youth employment program known as N-Power.

Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq made the announcement on her Twitter account.

“It has been 16 days since the application site was opened and so far we have received 4.48 million applications,” the minister said in a statement issued on July 12.

She added that she and her staff are working hard to see that the program goes as planned.

On June 26, 2020, the N-Power job application website was opened, which will last for six weeks.

N-Power’s plan fell into disarray after earlier this month the Nigerian parliament suspended the scheme which the government has promised to hire 774,000 low-skilled workers until they get the details of the recruitment process.

The move comes a day after Minister of State, Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo had a heated argument with lawmakers when they demanded an explanation during a meeting with him last month.

Lawmakers themselves have been accused of manipulating the plan, although they have denied it.

Chairman of the Labour Committee of the House of Representatives Hon. Muhammad Ali Wudil said that their concern was that the government had introduced the program for the benefit of the people they represented and that they were pursuing it to ensure fairness and equity.

The union needs to know the process of selecting a 20-member team from each state in Nigeria to conduct the selection process.